Monday, March 15, 2021

Compartmentalisation

It has been one year that I've lived (!) and worked (!!) predominantly in Highflyer's house. It does not look nearly the same as it did when I moved in last March...without knowing in the least that it would be MOVING IN. It was only supposed to be a temporary solution for that temporary (insert ironic chuckle) pandemic situation. We all know how that turned out. 
I have long since turned one of the "children's rooms" as designated by the house's previous owners into my office and equipped it with a proper chair, desk, monitor, etc. The other room has become my sewing/ironing/reading room.
There's frequent talk of people being so sick of those long months of working from home and many of my friends an colleagues actually feel the same. I often think the only reason why I have not yet tired of it to the same extent and I don't tend to feel too stressed even though my workload definitely has not decreased is the fact that I manage to switch off (work) quite easily. I am in the privileged situation of having a separate office room both here and in my flat in Vienna, rather than just a corner in some other room. 
After work I put my laptop on lock screen, put my work phone that I also use as a mobile hotspot away, close the door to my office and don't actually go into that room until the next morning, pretty much the same like a regular office. If your living arrangements allow you to do the same and you are not a heart surgeon or epidemiologist advising some government or other so that you need to be on call 24/7, I can wholeheartedly recommend this approach. By literally stepping away from work in the evening, I tend to not give a thought to it until I wake my laptop up from its sleep the next morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist